Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Foxxjazell and Why You Never Hear From Me

Hey everyone, apologies for the lack of new play list and blog updates. I started this station and blog at the same time that I started school, planning a tour, a CD release, and my very own transy-gay wedding. It's not just my wedding alone, of course; it also belongs to my femme lesbian lovah, who happens to be the queen of wedding crafting. So far she's made her veil, the cake topper, the tie pins, the boutineers, the programs, her bouquet, and her wedding jewelry (I know I'm missing something). I'm working on putting the music together (of course), and a couple other things that seem to take up much of my time. I know this blog is supposed to be about queer and trans music, and we'll get there, I promise. In the meantime, I feel the need to let readers know that I'm having a transy hot flash. I'm not drunk blogging, I swear. I just want to have some connection to Bad Flower Radio readers and I feel closer to you already. Let's get even closer: please comment on both the blog and the station. Let me know who you want to hear and who you'd like me to interview. Even if they are big - time, I'll accept the challenge, and politely hunt them down in an attempt to get an interview or Q&A.

Before I forget, I'd like to give a SHOUT OUT to DEADLEE for giving me an alternative to the word 'tranny.'

Now back to the matter at hand. Because of all this wedding planning and traveling, I'll continue to be sparse in my posts and play list changes over the next few months. While the planning stages are almost done, the executions are about to begin.

In the meantime, I have something for you. Check out Bad Flower Radio's latest broadcast featuring artists such as Hanifah Walidah, Farrad, and Elias Krell. Today's featured artist is the fierce trans hip hop artist, Foxxjazell.

Foxxjazell is one of the first transgender music artists to achieve success in the mainstream market. She has opened for queer icon, RuPaul, and been featured in mainstream media such as XXL Magazine and TMZ.

I caught up with Ms. Foxxjazell at a quaint little Frence cafe in Beverly Hills. Ok, really, I just sent her some questions in an email and she was fabulous enough to answer them.

----
Q&A with Foxxjazell


BFR: Could you briefly describe your process of writing a song?

Foxxjazell: Songs come 2 me randomly. 95% of the time I will be doing sumthin
unrelated 2 music & an idea 4 a song will randomly pop-up.

BFR: Your bio says that your parents wanted you to become a nurse or a
teacher. Are they supportive of your music, now that they see that you’re
doing what you love?

Foxxjazell: They tolerate me cuz they know Foxxjazell is gonna do what
Foxxjazell wants to do.

BFR: Which artists have influenced you? Both old school, and current?

Foxxjazell: Madonna, Prince, M.J., Salt & Pepa, Lefteye, Tupac, T.I. & Basement
Jaxx. That's just 2 name a few.

BFR: What is your ultimate goal with music… if someone handed you
$100,000, and a $50,000 technology suite (Project Runway Style) and said
“make your dreams come true,” what would you do with the goods?

Foxxjazell: I would expand my record company FKJ Records & invest the
money in2 stocks & bonds.

BFR: Do you feel you have a responsibility as an artist and a public figure to any
particular community or demographic?

Foxxjazell: Of course. That's main reason I ventured in2 the music industry cuz I have something to say & express 2 the public in a artistic format.

BFR: I noticed that you got in with Hip Hop Magazine. How have you been treated in mainstream hip hop?

Foxxjazell: They tolerate me at best.

BFR: According to an article in XXL, you took a hiatus after being dropped by a label for being trans. What inspired you to come back and start performing again?

Foxxjazell: Seeing the birth & progress of the homohop genre & wanting to be part of it.

BFR: Are you signed to a label now?

Foxxjazell: Yes FKJ Records not a major but a indie label that kicks a$$!!!

BFR: What has been a major highlight in your career?

Foxxjazell: Actually I can't just say 1. Having "Split Enz" debut on the Billboard Hot Single Sales chart. Having my music videos rotated on MTV, Logo, VH1 & various other networks outside the states. Also getting rotation on the radio has been a highlight 4 me.

BFR: Do you have any new projects coming up.

Foxxjazell: Yes my new album "Boy,girl,whateva" is in stores online world wide & my current single I'm promoting now is "Hookup" (Off the hook remix) featuring trans electro pop star Ashley Breathe.
----

Foxxjazell's "Hookup" can be heard on the latest Bad Flower Radio broadcast.

Check out her website: http://www.foxxjazellmusic.com/

1 comment: